Nelson Monuments A - M
Birmingham - Nelson Statue
The Statue of Horatio Nelson by Richard Westmacott, RA (1775–1856) stands in the Bull Ring, Birmingham, England.
Nelson stands in uniform, with his one arm resting on an anchor with the prow of a miniature ship: HMS Victory. Upon the ship is the Flag Staff Truck (part of the mast) of the French ship Orient that sunk at the Battle of the Nile. The statue originally stood on a cylindrical marble plinth, surrounded by iron railings with lanterns standing on up-ended cannon at each corner. Since 25 April 1952 it has had Grade II* listed status.
The statue was moved in 1961 during the first redevelopment of the Bull Ring and the carved plinth, cannon and lanterns were lost. It now has returned close to its original location north of the church. Standing on the high balcony between the Bullring shopping centre and the new Selfridges store, Nelson now looks again over the church of St Martin in the Bull Ring. He stands on a plain plinth, surrounded by iron railings linked by iron rope. The statue forms the centrepiece of Birmingham's annual Trafalgar Day commemoration.
In 2009, to mark the 200th anniversary of the statue's unveiling, a medal was struck by St Paul's Mint of Birmingham.
A related statue was constructed in Bridgetown, Barbados, in 1813. Like the Birmingham statue, it was also sculpted by Westmacott, and based on the same design.
Edinburgh - Nelson Monument
The Nelson Monument is a commemorative tower in honour of Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, located in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is situated on top of Calton Hill, and provides a dramatic termination to the vista along Princes Street from the west. The monument was built between 1807 and 1815 to commemorate Nelson's victory over the French and Spanish fleets at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, and his own death at the same battle. In 1853 a time ball was added, as a time signal to shipping in Leith harbour. The monument was restored in 2009.
The Royal Navy's White Ensign and signal flags spelling out Nelson's famous message "England expects that every man will do his duty" are flown from the Monument on Trafalgar Day each year
Forres - Nelson's Tower
Standing high on Cluny Hill, Nelson's Tower looks down, with some presence, over Forres. Erected by public subscription, the tower was built as a memorial to Admiral Lord Nelson. The foundation stone was laid by James Brodie of Brodie on the 26th August 1806 with coins and a parchment being laid beneath it. The Forres Volunteers then fired three volleys into the air and the procession marched off down the hill for a celebration dinner in the town.
However, the costs of the subsequent works were such that two further calls were made to subscribers in 1807 and 1810 to complete the structure. In the meanwhile, many of the subscribers joined together to form The Trafalgar Club to celebrate annually the famous naval victory. Finally, on Trafalgar Day 21st October 1812 at 1:00 p.m. the flag was run up and the tower opened to the public.
Glasgow - Nelson Monument
The Nelson Monument is a commemorative obelisk built in 1806 in honour of Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, constructed the year after his death at the Battle of Trafalgar. It is located within Glasgow Green, a historic public park in Glasgow, Scotland. It stands 144 feet (44 m) tall, and its square plinth is enclosed by cast iron railings.
The obelisk was designed by the architect David Hamilton. A plaque in front of the column records that it was the first civic monument in Britain to Nelson's victories, funded by a public subscription. The foundation stone was laid on 20 August 1806, and the monument was constructed by the mason A. Brockett.
Soon after its construction, the obelisk was struck by lightning, leaving a long structural crack in the monument: this event was depicted in a painting by John Knox, which is now in the nearby People's Palace museum. In 1965 a tablet was added to the plinth commemorating James Watt's use of Glasgow Green while thinking about an improved steam engine.
The monument became a category A listed building in 1970
Great Yarmouth - Nelson's Monument
The Nelson's Monument is a commemorative column or tower built in memorial to Admiral Horatio Nelson, situated on the Denes, Great Yarmouth in the county of Norfolk, England. It was designated as a Grade I listed structure in 1953.
Designed by architect William Wilkins, it was raised in the period 1817–19 from money raised by a committee of local magnates. The first custodian of the monument was former Able Seaman James Sharman, a member of the crew of HMS Victory from Norfolk and one of those who carried Nelson below decks after he was shot.
The monument, correctly called the Norfolk Naval Pillar, is in the style of a Doric column topped by six caryatid figures that support a statue of Britannia proudly standing atop a globe inscribed with the motto from Nelson’s coat of arms Palmam Qui Meruit Ferat (translates to 'Let him who has merited it take the palm'), she holds an olive branch in her outstretched right hand, a trident in her left and looks inland – said to be towards Nelson's birthplace in Burnham Thorpe in Norfolk. The whole monument is 144 ft (44 m) high, compared to 169 ft (52 m) for the monument in Trafalgar Square and the top is reached by some two hundred and seventeen steps.
The structure was completely restored in time for the bicentenary of the Battle of Trafalgar in 2005. It currently stands, albeit separated in its own small railed plot, in an industrial estate. The monument is open to the public on a limited basis.
At the base inscriptions commemorate Nelson's four main victories over Britain's enemies the French and Spanish:
The Nile (Aboukir), 1, 2 August 1798, HMS Vanguard
Copenhagen, 1 April 1801, HMS Elephant
St Vincent, 14 February 1797, HMS Captain
Trafalgar, 21 October 1805, HMS Victory
On the top plinth are named four of the ships he sailed on for each battle.
On the western face - i.e. inland again - a Latin inscription reads: "This great man Norfolk boasts her own, not only as born there of a respectable family, and as there having received his early education, but her own also in talents, manners and mind."
Liverpool - Nelson Monument
The Nelson Monument is a monument to Admiral Horatio Nelson, in Exchange Flags, Liverpool, England. It was designed by Matthew Cotes Wyatt and sculpted by Richard Westmacott. It stands to the north of the Town Hall and was unveiled in 1813.
The monument consists of a bronze statue on a stone base. Its overall height is 29 feet (8.8 m), and the circumference of the base is 95 feet 4 inches (29.1 m). The base consists of a drum-shaped pedestal in Westmorland marble, standing on a granite basement. Seated around the pedestal are four statues depicting manacled prisoners sitting in poses of sadness; they represent Nelson's major victories, the battles of Cape St Vincent, the Nile, Copenhagen, and Trafalgar. Set into the drum between the statues are four bronze bas-reliefs depicting other naval actions in which Nelson was involved. Encircling the pedestal above the statues are swags of laurel hanging from behind lions' heads. Attached to rings in the lions' mouths are chains that descend to manacle the prisoners. At the top of the pedestal is a cornice with an inscription in metal letters reading "England expects every man to do his duty"
On top of the pedestal is a bronze group of figures forming a roughly pyramidal structure. There are five figures surrounded by the drapes and poles of captured flags, with an anchor and a rope on the ground. An idealised nude representation of Nelson stands with one foot on a cannon and the other on an enemy's corpse, holding upright a sword on which Victory is placing the last of four crowns. To the right of Nelson is the figure of Death reaching out to touch him. On the left of Nelson is a British seaman striding forward. Behind Nelson is the figure of Britannia holding a laurel wreath and Nelson's decorations.
The monument was the first item of public sculpture to be erected in Liverpool and is recorded in the National Heritage List for England.
Hi there. I'm a block of text. Click here to edit the text and add your own. Nothing’s carved in stone, so you can change it any time.
London - Nelson's Column (Trafalgar Square)
Nelson's Column is a monument in Trafalgar Square in central London built to commemorate Admiral Horatio Nelson, who died at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. The monument was constructed between 1840 and 1843 to a design by William Railton at a cost of £47,000. It is a column of the Corinthian order built from Dartmoor granite. The Craigleith sandstone statue of Nelson is by E.H. Baily, and the four bronze lions on the base, added in 1867, were designed by Sir Edwin Landseer.
The pedestal is decorated with four bronze relief panels, each 18 feet (5.5 m) square, cast from captured French guns. They depict the Battle of Cape St Vincent, the Battle of the Nile, the Battle of Copenhagen, and the death of Nelson at Trafalgar. The sculptors were Musgrave Watson, William F. Woodington, John Ternouth, and John Edward Carew, respectively.
It was refurbished in 2006 at a cost of £420,000, at which time it was surveyed and found to be 14 ft 6 in (4.4 m) shorter than previously supposed. The whole monument is 169 ft 3 in (51.6 m) tall from the bottom of the pedestal to the top of Nelson's hat.
Montreal - Nelson's Column
Nelson's Column (French: colonne Nelson) is a monument erected in 1809 in Place Jacques-Cartier, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, which is dedicated to the memory of Admiral Horatio Nelson, following his death at the Battle of Trafalgar. Subsequent to the destruction of Nelson's Pillar in Dublin (1808–1966), Montreal's pillar now stands as the second-oldest "Nelson's Column" in the world, after the Nelson Monument in Glasgow. It is also the city's oldest monument and is the oldest war monument in Canada.
Since neither the French Revolution nor Napoleon had been popular among the French in Montreal and contrary to later belief, the public funds raised for building the monument were collected from both British and French Montrealers alike.